Sunday, February 28, 2010

Random Thoughts

It has been awhile since I posted something on here.  And since I've told a few people about my blog and might have 2 followers, I should probably update you guys!

We had another earthquake in Oklahoma yesterday in some town I've never heard of.  It was a 4.4.  I still didn't feel it.  I don't know what time it was at, but I'm wondering if something is wrong with me.  Everyone near me seems to be reporting that they felt it.  I don't know what I'm expecting, and I really don't want to feel one, but I'm starting to wonder.

There was another catastrophic earthquake early yesterday, this time in Chile.  So sad.  I haven't seen or heard much about it yet, but after Haiti's disaster a few weeks ago, I hope that they did not have that level of destruction.

We have had a week full of friends.  We've had dinner with some great friends and had some great times just hanging out with others.  We are so blessed to have such a variety of people in our lives. We ended this weekend tonight with our Community Group coming over.  We just enjoy these guys so much!  I'm sure this will not be the last time I rave about them, but I just love the group we have and the friendships we have formed.  It's great getting together with other Christian people, who are real and open and help each other through all the craziness of life.  Every week when they leave, Jimmy and I just sit back and talk about how much we appreciate all of them for what they bring to the group and to our lives.  That's what it's all about.

State basketball tournament starts next weekend for small schools!  I love this time of year.  Even though I'm far removed from high school basketball, I miss it so much and love going to the games at the Big House!

The Winter Olympics end tonight.  I love when the Olympics are on, but I really get into the Summer Olympics so much more than Winter.  I do like always having something to watch though.  Unless it's cross country skiing.  That's about as exciting for me as watching Nascar.  It's only exciting during the last couple of minutes. Anyway, here are some of the highlights and low points of the Olympics for me this year:

  • Before the Olympics even started, the poor 21 yr old luger from Georgia was killed during a practice run.  I just cannot imagine how tragic that moment was for his family and friends.  I'm sure this kid had dedicated his life to luge, which most athletes making it to the Olympics have to do.  To have his life end before he even got to participate is just awful.
  • Shaun White, the USA snowboarder, rocked!  He did some awesome move, the McTwist maybe?  I don't know, I'm obviously far removed from that sport and the lingo, but I know he was awesome and I was cheering in my living room!
  • I fell in love with curling.  I know, boring to some people, but the strategy and skill involved was really intriguing to me.  Maybe I should take this up as a sport I participate in. 
  • Joannie Rochette, the Canadian figure skater, made me emotional.  Her mother died just days before the skating finale and this girl showed such strength and determination by still competing.  She did not have a flawless routine, but was such a fighter, and I was happy that she received the bronze.  
  • Kim Yu-Na, the Korean figure skater, had a beautiful performance.  There is some new-ish scoring system (again, I'm not up-to-date with this sport), but all I know is that she obliterated the previous record.  
  • USA lost to Canada today in hockey.  Disappointing, but it was by one point in overtime.  This is huge for hockey, and although I'm not a big fan, I know this is awesome for our country!  Silver is nothing to be upset about.  Especially because....
  • USA, the greatest country in the world (I'm totally biased) finished with the most medals overall! 

0 comments: