Friday, January 15, 2010

Generosity

Two posts in one day...watch out :)

We had a family in our church who lost their house and everything in it to a terrible house fire last week. It was brought to our attention, and our care pastor just passed the word of some items that they needed. I did a quick post on Facebook and Twitter, hoping we could get something for them. I didn't know what to expect, but God always takes care of situations like this in incredible ways. We were able to find all of the major items the family needed: a refrigerator, stove, beds, and bedding. We even had one family who had a full size bed frame and another family who had a full size mattress and box springs. God has a way of working things like that out! On top of that, there are numerous people, including people I have never even met, offering everything they can think of, from love seats and clothes to bedding and gift cards. And they were all giving to someone who is a complete stranger to them. This incredible generosity has just touched me in a way I cannot even describe! Giving is the coolest thing. It's something that affects not only the people who are in need, but also the people who are able to give. In this case, it has even affected me, seeing how willing people are to do something for others. I like to think that I am a giving person, always trying to help when I can. But after witnessing this outpouring of love, it has really challenged me to become more generous. I want to be able to use all that God has blessed me with to touch people's lives and be able to show them God's love.

0 comments: