Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Birthday to Griffey

Here comes another sappy dog post!  Today is the day we celebrate Griffey's birthday!  We're not exactly sure what day he was actually born.  Our vet estimated how old he was, so I just picked a birthday for him.  Every dog deserves a birthday :)


The day I met Griffey was very sad.  He was dropped off along with 5 brothers and sisters at the church early one morning.  They were all in terrible shape, covered in fleas and ticks and visibly sick and starving.  Ugh, my heart just broke for these poor puppies!  But Jimmy and I did NOT want another dog.  Cassius was handful enough.  So I quickly devised a plan to get one of them for my parents, who were looking for a dog.  I decided to take one home and take care of him until my parents could get prepared to take him and love him.  It was actually very easy to choose which one I wanted.  Griffey ran up to me and licked my hand and wouldn't leave my side.  And could you really resist these eyes?

Precious!  I brought him home and spent over 2 hours trying to kill all of the fleas and getting them off of him.  He was so exhausted he could barely keep his eyes open.  And who could blame him?  He was completely malnourished.  I just wanted to cry looking at him.  After his bath, he got to meet Cassius, which I was pretty worried about to be honest.  Cassius is so spoiled and does not like sharing attention with anything else.  He didn't really know what to think about Griffey.
They smelled each other out for a few weeks!  Anyway, poor Griffey was SO SICK!  He had almost every type of worm and sickness possible and spent the first 2 months with us on medications.  He never acted sick though.  This dog doesn't show any of the normal sick-dog signs.  He was always still just as active and wagging his tail as much as ever!
He quickly became healthier though and started to bond with Cassius.  We thought having 2 dogs would double our work load, but really it was so much easier for us!  They just keep each other entertained and play constantly.  And although he was tiny compared to Cassius at first, we had a feeling that wouldn't last long!
He soon equaled Cassius in size and was even stronger.  I came home one day to this.  Not that we have the strongest fence ever, but he didn't seem to have a problem tearing right through it.  This hasn't stopped to this day.  He keeps breaking the top of our fence off.  It looks pretty ghetto right now and if anyone has any other suggestions to get this to stop, we'd love to hear them!


Needless to say, my parents did not end up with Griffey because we fell in love with him and couldn't give him up.  But we aren't completely selfish!  One of the other poor puppies needed a home, so Griffey's brother, Yogi, is now living with my parents.  They look like twins!


As much as we were entertained by just having one dog, having two has made our lives so happy!  They play together like brothers should, wrestling and fighting almost all day.  But they have their moments too.  I catch them snuggling sometimes and I know they love each other :)
So happy birthday to Griffey!  Our baby.  Our calm dog.  Our big, strong dog.  Our dog who will lick your face off if you'll let him. We don't know what we'd do without him!

0 comments: